Monday 28 June 2010

Another Talented friend.


Todays inspiration come's from a good friend and talented creative Dan Lee, Dan is still at College but is already creating some amazing pieces, I love this piece which he did recently and thought it was well worth a Blog about.

"The piece is primarily constructed of steel. The white shoulder pieces are steel rings with steel circles attached to give it the shape. They are covered in white polyester to achieve the shape you see before you. Attached to the shoulder rings is a metal V shape brace that has the fabric cape attached to the underside. The cape is made up of not only fabrics such as chiffon and muslin, but synthetic hair extensions and synthetic dreadlocks.
I was inspired by a tropical rainforest plant called a Pitcher Plant. This plant hangs from trees and attracts insects into its jug like shape by generating a sweet aroma to entice creatures in. Despite being lethal to rainforest creatures, a Pitcher Plant itself if quite a beautiful thing to look at. I took the rim of the plant to gain my shoulder shapes and attached the white cape to symbolise a waterfall.
The piece itself if quite philosophical. I wanted to examine the simple dangers in life such as walking down the street, crossing a road, using a knife to cut food, and how we somehow manage to still go about our daily lives unafraid of them. The shoulder pieces are taken from a lethal plant to show that we wear these dangers everyday, and the waterfall symbolises our ability to shrug off the fact that whatever we are doing could potentially end in catastrophe. The reason i decided to place the piece on the shoulders is because i believe that each and everyone of us carries the weight of our own world.

I recently have left college and am undertaking a gap year. I shall pursue a course in fine arts at the University of Salford in the year 2010. Despite being on a gap year, I fully intend to work free lance on my own creations. I become increasingly interested in experimental couture fashion and I largely cover the area of body adornment and accessory design. Look out for a blog coming soon!!!!
"

Thanks Dan, Look forward to seeing your blog.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. It's like a sort of philosophical Gareth Pugh piece. I look forward to your future projects and Blog.

    ReplyDelete